Cases around spondylosis can vary in severity. Understanding the illness and reaching out to an expert can help you live a pain-free life. We have successfully cured many cases at Amaltas Ayurveda and Dr. Shyla Vahab will be sharing more details with us on the topic below so that you too can get the help you need.
What is Cervical Spondylosis? What causes it?
Aging is the predominant cause of Spondylosis, also known as Spinal Arthritis. Cervical Spondylosis is a constant pain around the shoulder blades and it sometimes extends to pain along the arms and fingers.
We put our bodies through a lot of stress and strain every day, and over the years this can change the various structures of the spine. Even before you experience the symptoms of cervical spondylosis your joints and other spinal structures may be degenerating! So taking action before it’s too late can help cure cervical spondylosis in many cases.
Bone Spur, Dehydrated Spinal Disc, Herniated Discs, Wear and Tear of Cartilages and Bones, Injuries, and Overuse of joints can cause Spondylosis.
The risk factors surrounding it?
Age, jobs that involve repetitive neck movements, awkward posture, neck injuries, genetic factors, smoking, being overweight, and inactive are all risk factors that help develop cervical spondylosis.
Symptoms of Cervical Spondylosis
The most common symptoms are:
- Pain around the shoulder blade and along the arm; and in fingers.
- The pain will increase while standing, sitting, sneezing, coughing, and neck movements.
- Muscle weakness that makes it hard to lift the arm or grasp objects firmly.
- A stiff neck
- Headache that mostly felt in the back of the head
- Tingling and numbness that affects the shoulder and arm
Are any treatment options available in Ayurveda?
Joints are the seat of Kapha, so it is a Vata Kapha disease.
The treatment differs in acute (Avarana) and chronic (Dhatukshaya) conditions. There are several Ayurvedic formulations mentioned in classical texts to treat cervical spondylosis.
Panchakarma Treatments are the best and most effective at treating such cases.
- Lepana with Kottam Chuckadi, Kolakulathadi Choornas.
- Valuka Sweda treatment
- Abhyanga with Parinata Kera Ksheeradi Taila, Ketakimooladi Taila
- Swedana – Dhanyamla Pinda Sweda
- Nasya with Ksheerabala Taila
Once the acute phase has passed, we suggest exercises for cervical spondylosis for a permanent solution.